RYA Competent Crew Course
As well as a great floating holiday, these are some of the subjects covered on a 5 day RYA Competent crew course.
- Sea terms. There are loads of them and you need to know at least a few. You will also learn the names of the sails and rigging.
- Handling sails. Putting them up, taking them down, making them smaller when we have lots of wind and using bigger, more colourful ones in lighter weather.
- You’ll learn the ropes, quite literally. Knots (there are quite a few), also how to secure the boat to quays, buoys, pontoons, etc.
- Fire prevention at sea – we can’t just leave the building!
- There are lots of personal safety rules, e.g. wearing harnesses so you will not fall off.
- If someone does fall off, what do you do??!
- What do we do if we need help?
- Rule of the road; there is one at sea as well. (You might think lorries are dangerous, but wait till you see a super tanker!)
- Rowing dinghies – not as easy as it sounds.
- You will learn a bit about weather and how to judge the wind.
- Last, but most important, you learn to SAIL THE BOAT, steer her, trim the sails for maximum efficiency. By the end of the week you will be doing all this whilst drinking tea and watching the Dolphins!
- Student ratio max 4:1 Based out of Plymouth