RYA certificates of competence
Re: RYA Practical Exams & Conversions
Please ensure the candidates have prior to the exam the following :
1. Completed RYA / MCA Exam Application form.
2. Passport size Photo with name and date of birth on back.
3. V.H.F. certificate. This must include DSC
4. First Aid Certificate – Y/M & YC see back of RYA / MCA application form – Item 5. ( Not all one day first aid courses are aceptable)
5. Evidence of minimum seatime for Yachtmaster: 50 days, 5 days as skipper,( days are 24 hour periods) 2,500 miles, 5 passages over 60 miles including 2 overnight & 2 as skipper. Half mileage must be in tidal waters and all within the last ten years
6. Evidence of minimum seatime for Yachtmaster Coastal: 30 days, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, and 12 night hours. For holders of Coastal Skipper Practical Course Completion certificates. The seatime is reduced to 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles & 12 night hours. Half mileage must be in tidal waters and within the last ten years
Please be aware that the practical exams can include showing competency in any subject from any of the RYA courses . they take up to 8 hours for YM coastal and up to 12 hours for YM offshore.
You are totaly responsible for the vessel and its crew. The examiner is not part of your crew. He is an observer.
Payment is made to the RYA via the examiner. There may be a small charge made by examiners for reasonable travel expences.
Payment by Cheque payable to RYA £194.00 for Yachtmaster offshore. £ for Yachtmaster Coastal. Payment by Credit/Debit Card on back of RYA MCA Exam Application form. ( 2012 price)
For candidates holding a Yachtmaster certificate, which must be presented at the time of the exam, wishing to take a conversion, from sail to power or from power to sail, the seatime is halved (1,250miles) and the fee is £ payable to RYA.
For successful candidates who wish to have their certificates commercially endorsed, they must submit an original Basic Sea Survival course certificate and an original MCA Medical Report Form – ML5 completed by a G.P. plus an additional cheque of £ payable to RYA to cover administration.
For commercial purposes. You must also take a sea survival course and have medical to prove your fitness. You will also require a PPR certificate (Profesional practice and responsibilities ) On line course from RYA